Many artificial colors, artificial flavors and food preservatives commonly found in processed foods have been linked to various forms of cancer, asthma, allergic type reactions, behavioral changes, lowered IQ, hyperactivity and more.
The more additives we avoid the better. Here is a list of just some of the additives to try to avoid:
- Sodium Nitrate (also called Sodium Nitrite) found in cured meats like bacon, ham and lunch meats.
- BHA and BHT (Butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydrozyttoluene) found in cereals, chewing gum, potato chips and vegetable oils.
- Potassium Bromate found in baked goods to add volume.
- TBHQ (tertiary-butyl hydroquinone) found in instant noodles, crackers and other prepared foods.
- Sodium benzoate found in fruit juice soft drinks and salad dressings.
- Azodicarbonamide used as a dough conditioner in baked goods. Also found in yoga mats.
- Artificial Flavors found in nearly all processed foods with no way of telling what “artificial flavors” actually means.
- Food Colorings (dyes): Blue 1, 2; Red 3; Green 3; Yellow 6 found in candy, beverages, baked goods and pet foods.